Pages

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Our Garden



Gardening will be a new thing for us this year! I've been waiting to plant one for a few years now, and events, happenings, etc just kept us from attempting to do so.

But not THIS year.

Now, let' me explain. I'm a black thumb. I easily kill the most hardy of household plants (like my husband's spider plant), though I had a good run with some impatiens a few years ago.

SO, we're determined to try! And then I found out about The Homeschool Village Garden Challenge. Perfect!

Our Plan: To try and do a square-foot garden (SFG) for fruits/veggies and some flowers in front of our front porch (impatiens), and some herbs (basil and parsley) to grow indoors. The seeds for the SFG the kids choose were: cherry tomatoes, cantaloupe, beans and cucumbers. All climbers, so I'm not sure how we're going to do all of them.... yet.

Resources: I've been reading The All New Square Foot Gardening and reading anything I can find online. I also plan on talking to my father-in-law (who is the biggest green thumb I know).

Involvement: About a week ago the kids and I started the cherry tomatoes in a egg carton. I didn't want to spend much time or money if I couldn't get them to seed, but to our amazement, they are doing well! We'll need to thin them out and move them to something bigger then their egg cartoon soon! Just even the difference from yesterday to today has been amazing.


April 18th



April 19th
(noticing they are leaning towards the window, I flipped the carton around to help them grow straight!)

So there it is, the start to our garden. I hope you come back and watch as we (hopefully) have some great success this year!

3 comments:

  1. How exciting! We're linking up on April 28th!! THANKS for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks Stef - I hope to have more to share on the 28th! moving out of the egg carton, maybe starting more seeds....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kris! Looks like you're off to a great start! We are doing the gardening challenge, too. :-)

    Thanks for entering the Penelope Rose giveaway at my blog today -- winner will be announced tomorrow evening.

    I'm glad to find your blog - I'm going to poke around a bit!

    ~Mary

    ReplyDelete